Shanelle's Piano Studio
Carnival of the Animals
The Carnival of the Animals (Le Carnaval des Animaux) is a humorous musical suite of fourteen movements by the French Romantic composer Camille Saint-Saëns. I find this to be a great resource to encourage children to be creative with different musical sounds. You can use it in a number ways - listening, improvisation or composition! I have used the resources below to help me conduct the activity. I will be adding to this page as and when I use more resources. Hope you enjoy using them as much as I do!
(Please note: these are not my original resources and were found on the internet. Please respect the copyright rules)
1. This resource can be used for younger children. It gives you a few guidelines and links on each animal to prompt answers. With younger students, it is sometimes best to let them explore on their own as well.
2. You can cut out the animal composition cards and use a few to have your students create their own animal story.
3. This resource guide can be used for classroom teaching and it is where I found the lion mask!
4. For a different approach and more questions to encourage deeper analysis with senior students
5. A few websites I've used: